Ready to start a new adventure? Come and join the team at Camp Latona in beautiful BC. Our island retreat is looknig for some fantastic interns to learn leadership and outdoor skills, hands on to a variety of children, youth and adult groups.
As a program intern your daily duties will be varied; from helping a camper off the zipline for the first time, teaching the C-stroke, to leading an overnight hike in the Howe Sound. Those in this position will also be fully trained in a variety of useful and transferrable skills setting them up beyond island life.
The position runs approximately from May 1st to September 1st 2015 (dates can vary) and is open to those students and graduates looking to persue a career in the outdoors.
For more information please get in touch with the camp office at (604) 340-5634 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must be over 21 years of age and demonstrate:
Extensive knowledge of outdoor camping skills
Familiarity with minimum impact camping principles
Experience with proper care and maintenance of wilderness camping equipment
Prior work experience with youth
Experience managing staff of 5-20
At least 3 years experience in a residential or day camp setting
Responsible and mature attitude
OFA 3 or willingness to obtain
Provincial Canoeing or Kayaking certification is an asset
Lifeguard certification is an asset
• Maintain the smooth and efficient operation of Camp Latona Residential Summer Camp & Urban Day Adventure.
• Lead meal programs, skits, special events, dress up and mass games.
• Deliver camp programming which reflects the Camp Latona mission and goals.
• Assist with coordinating with Manager to plan and cater to the needs of each individual camp group/session.
• Maintain accordance with all of Camp Latona’s Health and Safety Procedures
• Maintain camp with the help of the caretaker.
• Complete all administrative duties.
• Liaise with parents and camp group leaders before, during, and after their camp session.
• Directly supervise and coordinate the efforts of the camp personnel including but not limited to: Day Leaders, Counsellors, Chef and Kitchen staff, CIT maintenance staff.
• Assist in training and education of staff in accordance with Camp Latona staff manuals, protocols, and values.
• Adhere to and implement the policies and procedures of Camp Latona
• Establish and maintain an effective screening and referral process for reported child abuse, neglect, and accusation of misconduct.
• Compile an annual season report including inventories, staff evaluations, camper evaluations, and recommendations for the following season.
• Promote all special events and get campers excited and participating in all activities possible.
• Meet the physical, emotional, social, safety, well-being, medical and nutritional needs of each camper.
• Actively lead all staff meetings.
• Work with all other staff in a positive, professional and cooperative manor.
The position commitment is May 1st to September 1st, 2015.
Preference will be given to applicants currently pursuing or recently completed their post secondary education. Fields of study recommended for this position are: education, recreation, physical education, social work, or forestry.
All positions require a Criminal Record check and a current basic first aid certificate or the willingness to complete the course. If you are interested in working with us at Latona or volunteering in any way, please send your application form and resume to our office. Staffing positions may change due to higher registrations throughout the summer months.
Want to join our great team? Apply now and be a part of something special!Apply Now